Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Hunter William is here!

I know this is about two weeks late in coming, but it's been a busy two weeks! Hunter William is here! He decided he wanted to join the party on Thursday August 27th at 2:40pm. He is a small guy weighing only 5 lb 14 oz and 17 1/2 inches long. Here is Hunter's birth story...

I woke up Thursday morning around 6am and was having contractions, but they were only 10-15 seconds long every three minutes or so. They weren't that strong so I chalked it up to false labor and got ready for work as usual. Robert and Logan were driving me to work and the contractions were getting a bit stronger but still close together. On the drive I was debating on still going to work or not going and calling the doctor. Well, when we got to my office building (just before 9am) I told my boss that I was going to take the day off just to see what happens.
We decided to go run some errands and walk around the mall to kill some time and see if things progressed any. As we walked around the mall my contractions were getting stronger, but I still wasn't convinced (partly because my dear husband was confused on how to time them). So, I finally called my doctor's office to see if they wanted me to come in or got to L&D to get checked out. I was told to head over to the Hospital, so we took Logan to Nana's house and went on our way feeling a bit excited and nervous.
We arrived at the hospital at 11:55am, was taken to the triage area to be examined and found out I was about 5cm dilated! Things were definitely progressing and I was going to have a baby some time that day. From here on out my sense of time gets a little off track... It felt like forever before the nurse came back to tell us there was a room ready for us, but eventually she did. We got situated in the delivery room and as comfy as can be in a hospital bed. Again it felt like forever while the nurse was trying to start a fluids IV so I could get an epidural... I was beginning to think I wouldn't get to have on and I'd have to do it all natural! Eventually my veins decided to cooperate and the epidural was on it's way (thank God!). The anesthesiologist arrived and got to work (lucky for me this time didn't have a contraction as they were inserting the needle) but had difficulty getting it in the right spot. Nevertheless it was done and my legs were getting numb... so numb in fact that I couldn't even lift my own legs! So I was finally able to just sit back and relax for a minute or two before the nurse told me she was going to get some lunch and that if I needed anything the other nurses were watching my strip and I could call them if I started to feel any pressure. Well, the nurse barely got both feet out the door when I looked at Robert and said "Oh, I feel pressure. Get a nurse." So A nurse and the doctor who would be delivering Hunter came in to check me and I was 9cm dilated and the doctor broke my water (there was meconium in the water so they called to have Peds. on hand). The doc. just waited because she knew it wouldn't be long before I was ready to push, and she was right. It felt like a couple of minutes had passed when I felt the pressure and urge to push. I pushed through 3 contractions (yes three!) and Hunter William was born at 2:40pm. He had a "true knot" in the umbilical chord (which could be a reason for the small size) that is pretty rare and not something they like to see. Crying from the get go, healthy, and beautiful! We are truly blessed to have two healthy, wonderful children, and yes I know I am lucky to have had two fast and safe deliveries... Logan was born three and a half hours after getting to the hospital and Hunter was a mere two hours forty five minutes after getting there. Anyway, I know you're excited to see some pictures, so here they are:




More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment