Friday, July 30, 2010

My First Bountiful Basket

I have been introduced to Bountiful Baskets (thanks Jackie)... a wonderful co-op for produce. This is my first time participating, and I have no doubt that it won't be my last. Saving money, eating healthy, and supporting local (as close to local as possible) growers - What more could you ask for right? I was so very excited to see what I would get in my basket this week! I also added a nine grain bread to my basket which I hear is delish! Anyhow, this weeks goods are:
  • Cantaloupe
  • Grapes
  • Bananas
  • Mangoes (huge ones I might add)
  • White Plums
  • Peaches
  • Cucumbers
  • Tomatoes
  • Yellow onion
  • 6 ears of corn
  • Broccoli
  • Romaine lettuce
  • Green Chilis (No kidding I got 23 chilis!!!)
  • 5 loaves of 9-grain bread (an addition to the basket for $10 and it is soooooo good -I made a piece of toast so I could test the deliciousness)

I was surprised at the amount you get for $15... seriously this would easily be $40 at a grocery store!

I arrived early at the pick up site because this week was an Organic week as well so it was expected to be busier... Well I sure am glad I did because I ended up helping (the truck was late) so I got to pick an 'extra' (I got a 2nd head of lettuce) AND I got to be first in line for my basket :) It is strictly volunteer run so I think I'll show up early every time I get a basket so I can help too!

I am so excited to participate in this and change my eating habits as well as my families...



Logan couldn't wait to try something!

If you're interested check it out here http://www3.bountifulbaskets.org to see if there's a pick up near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment